Sunday, June 28, 2009

I know, I know...

It has been forever and I realize this. It's just kind of hard to update the blog lately. We've been so busy, and also it's just not as much fun when you don't have funny first grade stories to share!

Let's see. There are only 3 MORE DAYS of summer school so I'm excited to begin my summer (finally)! I tested my summer school kiddos last Thursday to assess their progress in reading (both fluency and comprehension) since the beginning of summer school (this was only 13 days of instruction). I brought 9 more of my students up to benchmark level, and 2 of them were already there! That means only 4 of the 15 kids who remained in my class throughout the program are left behind. I hate to leave any behind, but that's a pretty good number considering these students are the ones who have struggled all year with reading.

I have also figured out how I'll be spending my days for the rest of summer. Kevin and I finally joined the Flower Mound Community Activity Center, so I'll be working out and then LAYING out! Awesome. It's got to be the coolest CAC ever. The inside is awesome, but the pool is the best part. Along with the indoor and outdoor pools, there are 4 water slides, a lazy river, and a huge splash pad pool with zero degree entry for kiddos. Next three days, please pass quickly!

I also have some projects - starting my couponing binder, cleaning the blinds and shades in our house, emptying our fridge and freezer to sanitize it, etc. Those aren't quite as much fun as the FMCAC.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, Bella has allergies, which just started recently. She's having a flare up right now, so I have to give her ear drops and baby Benedryl twice a day for several more days. Poor little baby - she's been shaking her head so hard (because her ears are bothering her) that the tips of her ears are very bruised from banging against her head. The Benedryl knocks her out and all she wants to do is sleep and cuddle on my lap. She stares at me for long periods of time and I think she is telling me "thank you for taking care of me," which of course makes it all worth it even more.

Kevin and I have some busy times ahead. We've got weddings, campouts, a trip to San Antonio, and a trip to the coast with friends to look forward to. It'll be a fun "busy," though!

Hmm...what else (this is kind of a thrown-together update, huh)? I'm finishing up my 4th grad school class, which means I am 1/3 of the way through! That's a good feeling. My next class is School Law, and I've heard its the most interesting in the program so I'm excited. I've been doing a lot of planning for 3rd grade (remember, I'm changing grade levels next year) reading. There are a lot of new things that I would like to try, hopefully for the whole team but at least in my own classroom. The more materials I find/make and the more ideas I think of, the more excited I get! I think I'm really going to "find my place" in 3rd grade.

I guess that's about it. I'm supposed to be watching a movie with Kevin right now, and apparantly sitting next to him on the couch updating my blog is not satisfactory. I'm getting a dirty look so I think I'll sign off.

Have a great week!

No comments: