Monday, July 5, 2010

Kidney Stones... :(

This has been a long and painful holiday weekend! On Thursday Kevin and I were enjoying a nice lunch together at home, and right as I finished eating I got this incredibly sharp pain in my middle left back. Over the next 5 minutes it got to the point where I could not walk, sit, lay, or curl into a ball without crying out in pain. I have had kidney stones once before (in college) so I was fairly sure that it was happening again and I was determined to handle it at home this time.

So I went to bed and laid down on a heating pad, took some Tylenol (all I can take since I'm preggers) and started pumping down water. Kevin went to CVS for me to get me some cranberry juice and gatorade. Four hours later I could no longer stand the pain. Plus I started worrying about what if it was something else - something that could hurt the baby. Kevin and I loaded up and went to the Walgreens clinic, where the doctor told me that they would not treat me since I was pregnant and suggested that we go to the emergency room.

The good thing about the emergency room is that when you are pregnant, you are a priority! Everyone glared at me as I walked, crying and bent over at a 90 degree angle, into the conferencing room. They got me put into a room and it seemed like forever before I got some (mild, for obvious reasons) pain medication. We then got a renal ultrasound since they cannot take x-rays or do a CT Scan. In the ultrasound they found a 4mm kidney stone lodged in my ureter!

The only good thing about the night is that they decided to check on the baby at the same time, and their machine is so much newer and stronger than my doctor's. We were able to see our baby with so much more detail! I saw arms, fingers, and legs! Plus while we were looking it raised up it's little arm as if to wave and say "Hey guys, I'm fine in here. Don't worry about me." It was incredible.

Six hours later we were discharged just in time to get my prescription filled before the pharmacy closed. As we waited, we went to Chick Fil-A because poor Kevin had only had a bowl of soup all day, at it was 9:30pm. As soon as we walked in I got light headed and ended up getting sick in the restroom. Not good.

Anyway, we got the prescription filled and got home from the ordeal. I spent the next 4 days in bed, with my INCREDIBLE husband taking excellent care of me. He refilled my cup constantly to make sure I was hydrating myself, got me medicine, fed me meals in bed or on the couch, and generally pampered me. I am so lucky to have him!

By Sunday evening I was up to going to watch some awesome fireworks in our neighborhood with our friends and neighbors. It was a great show, and so nice to be up and about! Then we rode our golf cart around the neighborhood and watched the fireworks that other neighbors were setting off in the street! And today I am almost completely back to normal! Thank goodness that is over!

No comments: