Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Another Update :)

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate your words of encouragement and prayers for Kevin and me as we figure things out. I thought I would give an update on what is currently going on, although not much has changed.

Kevin has not heard back about the transfer to Houston within his company that was a possibility for right now. When he called the boss, he was told that unfortunately he waited a day too late, as the position had been offered to a candidate just that morning. The guy had not accepted it at that time, and Kevin was hopeful. However, it stands to reason that the position has been filled since he has not heard anything else.

Luckily Kevin agrees with me that it is best to stay in DFW with me until we can transition to Houston together next summer. He is currently looking for other opportunities up here since his current job is still slightly unstable. Just tonight we worked on his resume and I wrote him a cover letter for a superintendent position at a local golf course. I am confident that if this is the right next step for us, then God will make it happen.

As far as the house goes, we have been advised to wait until early next year to put it on the market, since our area is starting an uphill trend. We are working on a few minor improvements to help us out when we do decide to sell. Yesterday I painted the laundry room, including all of the trim, doors, and shelving. Unfortunately these were previously done in oil-based paint and were all yellowed and gross-looking. Though using oil-based paint was a huge disaster to my clothing, skin, hair, and patience, the room actually looks quite nice. Hopefully it will all dry completely by Saturday so that I can get our washer and dryer hooked back up and do some much-needed laundry (I will say that I am enjoying the excuse for not doing it now, though). We are also planning on working this weekend to plant some foliage along our back fence - another thing that our realtor and my dad (who is also a realtor, but in SA) have suggested. After that our to-do list will only include minor tasks like shamppoing carpets and stuff.

That's it for news about the moving situation.

In other news, I'm just about ready to go back to school. As of this morning, my classroom is completely ready for my third graders! I even taped down the desk name-plates today (which is absolutely the most dreaded and tedious part of preparing a room for the next year, in my opinion. You have to tape like all over the desk so that it can't be picked, scraped, or chisseled off by little fingers or classroom objects). Teachers go back to work on Monday the 17th and the kids come back on the 24th. I'm very ready to be a third grade teacher and I think it is going to be a great year!

Last weekend we went to San Antonio to spend time with my family. We went to Enchanted Rock and hiked up to the top, and also had a picnic. On the way home we visited Luckenbach to have a Lone Star beer and buy a T-shirt. While in SA, we also watched some good movies and went out to lunch with my sister's boyfriend. It was our first time to meet him, and he is a really nice kid. It was also great to see some of my friends at my church there, and Emily and Brian even brought over their adorable puppy to play with Bella. She wasn't really all that into it, unfortunately. She ran to her kennel, jumped inside, and pulled the door closed with her little paw. She doesn't like to make new doggy friends (as we already learned with Steve, Oliver, Lucy, and countless others).

Kevin and I are going on a much needed vacation next week. We will leave for Port Aransas on Tuesday morning and return Friday evening. I am so excited because we haven't been on a real vacation since our honeymoon! We're going with our friends from Houston and staying in a nice two-bedroom condo on the beach. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Sorry to hear Kevin didn't get the new job, but something will come along! Our company is looking for a part time Listener Ministries rep - not much but it's a job. http://www.insight.org/about/employment/