Sunday, August 16, 2009

Our vacation!!!

Kevin and I had a wonderful time at the beach (in Port Aransas)! We left Tuesday morning and took our dogs to his mom's house (who was sweet to watch them while we were gone). Then we headed out for our 7 HOUR drive to Port A and arrived at about 3:30 that afternoon. We had to take the ferry to get to the island, and I made a new friend on it.

We got to our resort, La Mirage, and luckily were able to check in a little early. We then went to get our groceries for the week and I rediscovered my love for H.E.B. Once we got back to our condo we unpacked and headed to the beach. Kevin wanted to "catch some gnarley waves" on his boogie board. Here are a few pics from the first day.

View of the resort from the beach:

our walkway out to the beach:

Getting the first of my sun:

The next morning we went back out to the beach for a while and then to the pool. Ryan and Ashley arrived shortly after lunch time that day, and we were very happy to finally see them. We ate lunch together in the condo and then went back out to the beach. Here are some pictures of the afternoon:

Kevin and me:

Some of my sand dollars:

Kevin and Ryan heading out to catch some waves:

Kevin and Ryan getting our chairs:

That evening we went to my favorite island hangout, Snoopy's, for drinks and a casual seafood dinner. It was so delicious - I had fried shrimp and hush puppies and we had this appetizer of jalepeno poppers that had crab meat all mixed in with the cheese! The owner of the restaurant goes out fishing every day and whatever he catches is what is served, so it is all really fresh and great. Afterwards we fed the hungry fish off of the dock!

Kevin and me at dinner:

Ryan and Ashley:

Ryan said it looked like a war zone:

We fed the fish our leftovers:

After Snoopy's we went to The Back Porch, a neat little bar also on the water. While were were sitting there outside, a storm started blowing in. It was blowing over chairs and ripping things up, so we decided to head back to our condo. We sat out on our porch and continued to watch it blow in.

Thursday was another full day. We woke up early and went out to the beach. I caught some more sand dollars and a lot of hermit crabs (which I put back). We did a little more body surfing and then went inside for lunch. We took naps and then went back out to the pool. That night we ate at Burger Company (slogan: Burgers and Booze). I had a "Mexican Burger," which had a cheese enchilada, sour cream, jalepenos, and avocado on it. We went back to the resort after dinner and headed out to the beach to catch some sand crabs after dark, which was more fun after a few beers.

The first crab:

I got him!

A close-up:

Kevin and me on our last night:

We woke up on Friday, had breakfast, cleaned up our condo, and hit the road. We stopped on the way out of town for t-shirts, a Christmas ornament, and stuffed dolphins for each of our dogs :)When we got back to our house, dogs in tow, at about 7pm, our friends Kyle and Tiffany from Houston were already here to stay for the weekend. We went out to dinner and had several people over for drinks and Guitar Hero afterwards. Talk about a long day!

Saturday Tiffany and I got mani/pedis while the boys watched golf on TV, and then we all hung out for a while before dinner. We met some more friends at Lefty's in Addison which was soooo good. They got up this morning and left to go home, and I have been cleaning and doing laundry ever since.

That's our last week news!

Tomorrow I go back to work (teachers this Monday, kids next Monday), and I am so super excited. I love my job and I can't wait to see everyone tomorrow and to get some stuff done. Plus, tomorrow is going to be a fun day :)

The countdown starts:


Kingdom Mama said...

Oh how fun! Catching sand crabs was one of my all time fave things to do as a kid!

Thanks for the link! I hope you're having a great weekend!

Erin said...

WOW Look at those Sand Dollars!!! Amazing! Fun Pictures!