Thursday, February 26, 2009

A hot but funny day

I am actually writing this post from school, because my kids are entertained in the computer lab! This is the first time I have ever found time to post at school, so it's pretty nice.

School is soooo hot today. The air conditioning is not turned on, so all of the classrooms are smoldering hot. And then once the kids come in from recess the rooms also stink. I have all of my windows open, and the wind is blowing so hard that it's ripping things off of my walls and my ceiling, but it's worth it.

A couple of funny things happened today. First of all, this morning I was reading a book about Ruby Bridges (in the book she is 6 years old, and is the first African American child to attend a school in New Orleans). 'Jake' kept yelling out that he thought Ruby was a grown up, and I was ignoring him because he is not supposed to be yelling out in the first place. Finally he yelled one more time: "Mrs. White, did Ruby Bridges USED to be a grown up before this book?" Sarcastically I replied "Yes, 'Jake.' Ruby was a grown up and then she got shrunk down to a little girl just to be in this book." Then I laughed, and so did he. From across the room, a boy yelled out "Maybe someone put her in the dryer too long!" Then he just went back to work.

Also, there was dog poop on the playground today. If you have never had the opportunity to watch 65 first graders react to poop on the playground, I highly reccommend it. What am I talking about? I don't reccomend it at all. First there was about 5 minutes of giggling from the interested parties. Then it transitioned into speculation about where the poop came from. After agreeing on the consensus that it was, in fact, dog poop (which I had told them ten minutes prior), the conversation turned to how big of a dog. It was agreed upon that it was a very large dog - I'll leave that to your imagination :) Then came the nasty part - the observation stage. Someone observed that it looked like it had algea on it, but once she was reminded by another student that algae only grow near water, she switched to the idea that maybe the dog ate peas for dinner. From there, it went pretty much downhill. I'll spare you the disgusting details.

I hope to get home early enough to take my dogs on a walk in this beautiful weather. Whoever heard of 83 degrees in February? You won't hear me complaining! :)

Talk to you soon,
Meagan

PS: A tattle-tale entry is in the near future, and I have some good ones!

No comments: